By continuing your visit to this site, you accept the use of cookies. These ensure the smooth running of our services. Learn more.


You know you are Bangladeshi when*@#!!

We Bengalis do have some unique and typical style of expressing our inner motions. These comments (below) are based on our real life experiences, which have been taken from our conversations & put together by someone who left this country for good (good luck bro). See if these can recall your typical & unique Bangladeshi style (!?!):

You know you are Bangladeshi when:

* When you tell your parents you got 98% marks in an exam, and they ask you what happened to the other 2%?

* You make tea in a saucepan

* Your elder brothers are always right (though they talk stupid all the time)

* You put your clothes in suitcases instead of wardrobe

* You have an old but still operating 'Singer' sewing machine at home (this is mighty true)

* Your mother has a minor disagreement with her sister and doesn't talk
to her for ten years

* Your elders push the moral that honesty is the best policy but can’t came up with a valid example.

* Your cousin did not marry her boyfriend because he did not have a house in Dhaka; she marries a well-qualified engineer instead.

* You call an older person you've never met before "uncle" or "auntie"

* You hide everything from your parents

* Your mother does everything for you if you are male

* You do all the housework and cooking if you are female

* Your relatives alone could populate a small city

* You study or attempt to study medicine or engineering at university and nothing else

* You weren’t that intelligent so you studied Computer science or business instead (hey!!)

* You still come back home after finishing University to live with your parents

* You know no one who has studied music, but every one thinks he or she is a professional singer

* You eat kacha morich and salt with everything

* You fight over who pays the dinner bill

* You say you hate Indian films(/songs) but secretly watch(/hear) them with your parents

* You order deshi food in English language to impress the people you're with but the waiters don't have a clue what you are talking about

* You avoid public places when with a member of the opposite sex

* You secure your baggage with a rope

* You're walking out of customs at the airport and you see all possible members of your family who have come to pick you up (this is so true man)

* You get very upset and think life's unfair when an airline refuses to accept your luggage which is just 80 lbs overweight!

* After some years abroad, You go back to your parents' village and people treat you like a member of the royal family

* You ask your dad a simple question and he tells you story of how he had to walk miles just to get to school

* You are complaining about rickshaws when you are in a car and vice versa

* You have annoying nicknames that stick to u forever no matter how hard u try to get rid of it

* Your fufus measure wealth only in gold and diamonds

* Elders of the family push the concept of an arranged marriage on you and try to demonstrate how well it works whenever they're not fighting

* Your parents worry what other people will think if you're not going to be a doctor or engineer

* While living abroad, your parents always say, "It's cheaper in Bangladesh"

If you got some of your own, let me know.


Saalam. Nice blog !

Here is another,
When you are living outside the country, even then you always calculate everything in BD taka, although that doesn't make any sense.

Posted by: Sadiq | 10/09/2005

Hi! from India.Nice blog.

Almost 90% of the list of things is common to Indians too.

Posted by: Ravi Gupta | 12/23/2005

Here is another: When you use mouse in your laptop computer...

Posted by: Anwar Sadat Shimul | 02/06/2006

To parents - "Love marriage is always wrong"!!! Your parents never seem to like your spouse only because you'd decided to have a love marriage even though ultimately they can't help liking him!!! But they don't admit their likings at all in their entire lifetime!!!

Posted by: Mumu | 03/08/2006

Good post, very useful i like it very much

Posted by: tamiflu | 04/19/2006

wow so true!

Posted by: jasmine | 04/20/2006

When you tell your parents you got 98% marks in an exam, and they ask you what happened to the other 2%?

i dont know maby you tell this? :)

Posted by: actual diana dying photo princess | 07/15/2006

The comments are closed.